The Helix 5 is a vertical screen as we’ve seen on the previous series. The landscape display enhances its usability and overall ease of use.
It’s one of the best fish finders even though it’s as simple. In the article below, we’ll discuss its features, specs, as well as all the pros and cons in detail.Click Here To Check Price
Having reliable and useful onboard features is critical with fish finders. Still, having a ton of features that you don’t need or know how to use is pointless, so Humminbird made sure to make the unit simple and straightforward.
Take a peek below as we discuss its features in detail. The information below can help you figure out if this is the right fish finder for you.
Hummingbird’s 2D sonar allows you to locate and see fish with more accuracy and overall precision. It doesn’t matter whether you’re fishing in coastal waters, freshwater lakes, or the ice; the fish finder offers clear images of both your prey and the environment around it.
Switch Fire is a unique feature that allows you to control the way your returns appear. It comes with two display modes – the Max mode and Clear mode – which let you choose how much detail you want to see in terms of fish, thermoclines and structure.
The Dual Beam feature includes a wide beam and narrow beam offering more search area and better precision.
Dual Beam is what shows the fish and the bottom of the water, while DualBeam Plus combines the two beams for some added detailing.
Compressed High-Intensity Radar Pulse, otherwise known as CHIRP is one of the most important things in fish finders. It’s what most fish finders come with nowadays as the feature helps your performance with ease. CHIRP works by scanning the water for fish and covering a wide range of frequencies. As a result, the returns of fish and the bottom are accurate and detailed.
Side Imaging is critical as it allows side-to-side perspective on what’s below the surface. The ultra-thin beam scans the area to the right and left of your boat.
The return image is then added to those that were taken immediately before and after. As a result, you get an incredible view of what’s at the lake bottom. This makes it easier to find your target regardless of the water you’re in.Click Here To Check Price
- High-resolution display – this one has a landscape of 800×480 pixels in a 256-color TFT display. This allows more comfortable use since it displays more details. The in-dash dimensions are 7.55×4.28×1.13 inches.
- Easy mounting – you get a plastic gimbal mount for mounting the fish finder to the boat. This replaces the old system we’ve seen on previous Humminbird models.
- Supreme GPS mapping – the unit runs on LakeMaster and Navionic Gold/Hot Maps MicroSD cards. It has only one card slot that’s on the left side. Its built-in basemaps provide a clear view of the terrain underwater. It identifies day markers, marinas, hazards, buoys, and other navigation. It also allows you to see contours, depth markings, and spot soundings.
- Easy to use – Helix 5 is one of the simplest units on the market. Its user interface is quite intuitive and straightforward, so even beginners can figure it out fairly quickly. Plus, it comes with a user manual that you can always consult with in case you’re struggling.
- Down Imaging – this gives you a fish eye’s view of what’s under your boat. The images are created with high-frequency sound waves and ultra-thin slices. As you move, you can watch timber, bridge, brush, rocks, and whatever other structure with excellent detail.
- 500 waypoints only – if you exceed this number, waypoints memory will disappear when you turn the unit off.
- Not for shallow waters – due to the way it was designed and the features it comes with, the unit isn’t suitable for shallow waters. This is an important thing to keep in mind when looking for a fish finder.
- The mounting bracket isn’t as durable – the first thing you’ll notice is that it only tilts up and down and you won’t be able to move it left and right. It’s also made of cheaper materials and tends to break easily.
While this is an impressive unit, it has some setbacks you should pay attention to. Luckily, it’s nothing that could majorly affect its performance, but you should keep it in mind anyway.
Helix 5 offers a clear and detailed image of what’s under and around your boat. It shows structure, target, and other information that could be useful in your fishing adventures.
Make sure to pay some attention to the instructions included with the unit. It’s going to help you understand how the unit works, more so if you’re a beginner. This way, you can mount and install the device easily and quickly.
Helix 5 is easy to use even if you’re a beginner and chose this as your first fish finder. Its high-resolution display, GPS mapping, SI, and DI enhance the overall experience allowing you a detailed insight of the water around you.Click Here To Check Price
Humminbird Helix 5 Review
Since the day Humminbird came out with its Helix 5 series, it's been among the most popular companies. The company has been around for ages and is one of t