How a Spinning Reel Works for Beginners
Fishing has become more popular than ever just within the last few years alone. Much of these people go fishing has a simple hobby & recreational activity. The reason for this is the fact that recreational fishing is highly beneficial to the overall well-being.
If you want to pick up on the activity, it’s time you learn some basics about it first. For example, you can’t go far without knowing how a spinning reel works and what it serves for. Knowing your equipment will allow you the best experience every time.
Some come with instructions so you can learn most stuff there. However, these manuals can sometimes be rather confusing leaving beginners to wonder how does the reel work.
This is important for your success because you can only cast it properly if you know basic functionalities. For this reason, you should learn a few things in advance to save yourself time and effort once you go out to the water.
Continue reading as we discuss different types of reels and step-by-step instructions on how they actually work.
Various Types of Fishing Reels – What’s The Difference?
The market is packed with different types of fishing reels used for recreational and professional fishing. These work in different ways and for specific gears, parts, and activities decided by you based on your needs and preferences.
Understanding the difference between them is critical in being able to select the right one. Here are the different kinds you should know:
- Spinning – this one is by far the most popular type. It’s the most user-friendly and easy to use which makes it ideal for beginners.
- Spincast Reels – it’s similar to the spinning one, but its parts are completely enclosed. This limits the line you cast with it, the accuracy you can achieve. In our opinion, spincast reels are easy to use and suitable for majority of fishes.
- Baitcasting – this one isn’t as easy to use. In most cases, the spoon turns as you cast the fishing line making it a bit tricky to get the hang of.
- Conventional – much like a baitcasting reel, this one is difficult to use. Conventional reels are best for big fish and in the hands of someone with experience and skill.
Ever type brings something else to the table in terms of specifications and ease of use. Each has different features that are best for certain type of fishing.
Though their parts are assembled in different ways, most reels work by somewhat same principles. It’s important you know this difference though, because you’re then able to choose the one that suits you the best. Getting the best type will enhance your performance and overall experience.
How Does a Spinning Reel Really Work?
Now that you understand the basic difference between some of the most popular reels, it’s time you learn how they work. As we said, spinning ones are the most common choices across the globe.
It’s been used since the late 19th century in North America and is by far the most efficient and easy to use. It’s simple, which is probably why so many people opt for it.
There’s a fixed line spool with a safeguard and wheel around it that takes up & discharges the fishing line. This enables you to cast the rod and the line at various distances. This is basically how it works, and it’s important you understand it in order to know how to use it properly.
As you know, there are other types as well, but they all work in a similar way. In most cases, they are all easy to set up, too. Knowing how it works is equally as important as learning how to set it up correctly. This provides you with the best experience allowing smooth performance.
If you buy a new one, it will probably come with some instructions on how to set it up properly. Though most work in a similar way, it’s good to check the manual to make sure you’re doing everything right.
Usual steps on how to set up a reel might vary depending on the type you choose. Here are the basic steps of setting up a spinning reel:
- Make sure you have all your parts, tools, and equipment with you and at hand.
- Learn about each part and its purpose, so you know exactly what it serves for.
- Start spooling the reel.
- You should then attach the fishing line or string to the rod.
- Tie a knot and install the drag knob.
- Cast the bait of your choice and reel the line.
- Double check the instructions that came with the device.
How To Cast a Spinning Reel
The next thing after learning how these work and the ways to set them up is to learn how to maintain them. Proper care is crucial in maximizing the longevity while maintaining its efficiency and functionality.
Again, you can turn to the instructions the reel came with if you got any. If not, there are some on the internet, too, that could be helpful for the precise model you have.
You should know how all the parts function and how to install them correctly. However, you should also learn how to work with it so you can use it the best way.
Same as with everything else, there might be a slight difference based on the model you have. All instructions and maintenance guides should be easy to follow. Here are some basic steps of taking care of your reel:
- Lubricate the spin wheel regularly to prevent it from getting stuck
- Clean it after each use. It’s especially important to use fresh water for this if you use the reel in salt water.
- Store it in cool and dry place when not in use.
Taking good care of it will maximize its performance and efficiency while also ensuring longevity.